Wisdom and Lessons from a Sustainability Internship Abroad


Wisdom and Lessons from a Sustainability Internship Abroad

September 28, 2023 | By Harry Heering ‘25



Pictured above: Co-workers and me at the Standard Carbon pilot facility


Meet Harry Heering ’25, an undergraduate in Global Development who is intent on finding innovative solutions to and curious about the global energy transition. Harry’s summer internship was at Standard Carbon, a renewable energy startup that creates renewable natural gas from renewable energy resources and carbon dioxide. His work engendered an aim to understand global energy systems and how the interface of development and sustainable goals intermix. His internship was provided through Jinternship and was located in Jerusalem, Israel.


1. The energy transition is not so black-and-white

While many think renewable energy such as wind and solar are the solutions to the fossil fuel crisis, they are far from perfect. These alternative energy methods often come with immense environmental costs in not only their production but in their waste as well. Wind turbines made out of fiberglass and photovoltaic panels do not degrade and have been causing environmental havoc in their own right. Energy is a precious commodity that is necessary for development and these renewable sources are very much dependent on weather conditions. Thus, many development opportunities can not be fully realized without both hydrocarbon and renewable energy systems working side by side. While in an ideal world, putting up more and more solar panels would solve all of the world's energy issues. However, we must incorporate that into a reasonable strategy that includes hydrocarbons for whether we like it or not, years to come.


2. Initiative is key

Before my internship, I thought my boss would give me a set list of tasks and have me work through them according to his standards. This was not at all the case. I was given certain responsibilities, but I was expected to figure it out and complete it with my own stylistic choice. In the beginning, I would ask my boss if they would prefer I complete the task in a specific manner; they would not answer as they wanted me to just get it done and not constantly ask for reassurance. This was particularly interesting when my boss asked me to create a presentation and then present the company to a Chinese diplomat, the Vice Governor of Guangdong province. I doubted my comprehension of company functions and my style of presentation for the important event, however, I had to trust my abilities and just worked at it continuously. Once the presentation was over I was very proud of my abilities and recognized that I just have to take initiative and follow my intuition to succeed in these situations.


3. Enjoy the company of co-workers/interns

While I did not know anyone at my internship going into the experience I became quickly acquainted with the people working around me. From the head of the company to fellow interns, everyone can help create a lively environment which makes for a much more enjoyable work experience. Other interns were particularly great to have around, not only because we could relate to our experience and grab lunch, but because we could learn from each other. When any one of us was having difficulty understanding a concept or project we would help each other and make ourselves stronger as a unit. The camaraderie and joint work experience is something not to be underestimated.



The above pictures were taken in and around Jerusalem


4. Take advantage of your surroundings


Being stationed in Jerusalem this summer provided me with an incredible opportunity to explore one of the most historically significant and precious cities in the world. Oftentimes it was hard to push myself to go out and explore the city more as I was tired after an entire day at my internship, but I only had limited time there. I made the extra effort to fight my fatigue and go take the bus another 40 minutes through the packed rush hour traffic or walk in the 100-degree heat for another 20 minutes. There are so many things to see and do and I do not regret ever once pushing myself to go out and explore. Having an international experience is precious and being aware of that makes it all the more worthwhile.

Freshly made hummus was one of my go-to eats: just around the corner from my internship!



Comments