Cultural Experience @ Bangkok, Thailand
Cultural Experience @Bangkok, Thailand
Natsumi Suzuki
Arrival
Even on the plane, I could feel the heat outside. I was dressed in a hoodie and shorts, which were suitable for Japan's weather, but it became evident as soon as I arrived that I wasn't dressed appropriately, and I needed to change once I leave the plane.
Nevertheless, I couldn't wait to see what life would be like during my internship in Thailand.”
***(A photo taken in a plane as soon as Suvarnabhumi airport arrived by Natsumi Suzuki)
***(A photo of people waiting outside of BKK airport by Natsumi Suzuki)
The First Weekend
A day after my arrival, I explored the bustling city of Bangkok. My first stop was Siam Center, one of Thailand's largest malls, interconnected with other renowned shopping centers in the city. It was impressive to see the development of their infrastructure. Given that Thailand is considered a developing country, my expectations for their infrastructure were modest. However, to my surprise, there was little to distinguish it from cities in more developed countries like NYC and Tokyo.
During my time in Bangkok, the city was hyped with Pride month celebrations, and it was on a grand scale compared to what I'd seen in other places. The rainbow flag, symbolizing LGBT pride, adorned nearly every corner of the city. This was a new experience for me, as back in my home country, while there is support for the LGBT community, it's often less visible and more subdued. Thailand, on the other hand, was a stark contrast. Here, everyone exuded confidence and openness about their gender identities. It was a cultural shock for me, but I was deeply impressed by the level of self-assuredness and acceptance I encountered.
The First Day to Work
***(A photo of motorcycles waiting for the traffic light by Natsumi Suzuki)
Tuk-tuks are a prominent mode of transportation in Thailand, three-wheeled motor vehicles commonly used as taxis. I relied on various apps to set my destination and call for one. It was my first experience with tuk-tuks, and I was genuinely excited about it. I found myself busy sending photos of these unique vehicles to my parents and friends. However, as I took more rides, I couldn't ignore the scorching hot climate and the polluted air in Thailand. It made me reconsider traveling in an open vehicle. Nevertheless, it was a memorable experience because neither motorcycles nor tuk-tuks serve as taxis in my home country or in the United States. Thus, living and interning in Thailand offered me a unique opportunity to embrace these distinctive modes of transportation for my daily commute to the office.
The Working Environment
***(Photo of a working desk taken in the office by Natsumi Suzuki)
I arrived at the office, and it was located within a small mall with a food court, restaurants, cafes, and convenience stores. This setup made it convenient to grab food or coffee during breaks.
The company, known as IAES, specialized in providing support to airline companies and aircraft carriers. I had been assigned to handle their finance work, and I had my individual desk for the job. These desks were separated by partition walls, which offered some privacy but still allowed for communication with other colleagues.
The working environment struck a balance between privacy and friendliness. My colleagues were welcoming and interactive, creating a warm atmosphere. They were open-minded and genuinely interested in cultural differences, which allowed me to share my experiences and learn about various cultural backgrounds within the workplace.
Lunch Time
My colleagues were incredibly enthusiastic about sharing their Thai culture with me during the eight weeks of my internship. They made it a point to educate me about their customs and traditions. One particularly memorable experience was when they introduced me to a Thai-style BBQ called Moo Kata.
They used a delivery app like UberEats or DoorDash to order BBQ ingredients so that I could try their traditional food during lunchtime. To my surprise, everything needed for the BBQ, including the grilling pan, was included in the delivery.
What made Moo Kata unique was the grilling pan itself. Unlike typical BBQs where we only grill meat, their pan had a hot pot surrounding the grilling area, allowing us to enjoy both BBQ and hotpot simultaneously. My colleagues also introduced me to other Thai dishes, and through these culinary experiences, I came to realize the profound importance Thai people attach to their food culture.
***(Photo of Moo Kata in the Office for Lunch by Natsumi Suzuki)
Night Market
***(Photo taken at Judd Fair, a night market, a store selling marinated seafoods by Natsumi Suzuki)
During my internship, I focused on learning and experiencing cultural differences that I couldn't readily experience in my home country or in the states. I discovered that the heart of Thai cuisine often lay in street food rather than restaurants, resulting in a prevalence of Japanese or Korean eateries rather than authentic Thai ones. Most of the traditional Thai cuisine could often be found in bustling street markets or night markets.
I visited multiple night markets in Thailand, and one of my absolute favorites was the renowned Judd Fair, a popular spot for tourists. Despite its touristy reputation, a colleague told me that it was one of the best places to find different kinds of traditional Thai foods in one location. There, I had the opportunity to try various dishes, and some of my favorites included mango sticky rice, crispy pork, and basil with rice.
A Trip to Wat Maha That Temple
Thailand is also known for its palaces and temples, making them a significant focus of my cultural exploration during the internship. I intentionally visited different temples and palaces located in various regions of the country.
One of the places that was memorable was Ayutthaya, renowned for its historical temples, ruins, and its historical role as a former capital of Thailand. Despite being just an hour or two away from the city of Bangkok, Ayutthaya had a distinct suburban and historical charm.
My visits not only granted me insights into Thailand's rich history but also illuminated their unique cultural practices. I was particularly surprised by the dress code enforced there, which required both men and women to cover their shoulders and knees as a mark of respect. What stood out to me was how universally these rules were respected, demonstrating a deep regard for the local way of life.
***(Photo of Budda’s head in tree root at Wat Maha That temple by Natsumi Suzuki)
BTS Skytrain
The BTS Skytrain played a pivotal role in my exploration of various areas in Bangkok. A day pass for this train system cost less than $10 (and individual rides could be even cheaper), making it a relatively affordable mode of transportation when compared to the United States or Japan. However, riding the BTS train also underscored the disparity in the cost of living between developed and developing countries.
While I found the ticket prices to be quite reasonable, I couldn't help but notice that residents and my office colleagues often complained about the high cost of tickets. This contrast in perspectives on the same ticket price due to differences in the value of money and the standard of living was a fascinating and enlightening insight into varying economies. It served as a valuable lesson in understanding how economic factors influence people's perceptions and experiences in different parts of the world.
*** (Photo of a platform for train called BTS, which is train goes around Bangkok by Natsumi)
Networking
***(Group Photos of interns organized by AIP taken by AIP organizer)
During my internship, I had the incredible opportunity to connect with individuals from various countries, not just Thailand, but from all corners of the globe. My internship was facilitated by the Asia Internship Program (AIP), which offers internships in Asian countries to people from around the world. Thankfully, AIP organized a dinner event that allowed interns from diverse backgrounds to come together and interact.
This gathering enabled me to meet people with unique backgrounds and experiences. Sharing our stories and highlighting our differences deepened my understanding and appreciation of cultural diversity. It was one of the most valuable learning experiences during my internship, emphasizing the richness that comes from connecting with individuals from different parts of the world.”

Comments
Post a Comment