My Engaged Learning Journey: From D.C. to The Bay
Transformation Comes When You Embrace It
The first two years of my journey at Cornell in the Global Development major were transformative, with my engaged learning experiences playing a pivotal role. My experiences working with the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) in Washington D.C. and Project Anar in San Francisco provided valuable insight into the field of immigration law and allowed me to apply my skills and knowledge to real-world legal and advocacy challenges. Coming from Afghanistan, I underwent the US immigration system, which influenced some of my career decisions. My immigration experience provided me with a new challenge to overcome and a new purpose to pursue.
Balancing Academics and Professional Growth: Challenging but Game Changing
In the spring semester of my sophomore year, I attended the Cornell in Washington (CIW) Program, which allowed me to take Cornell classes on government, history, and public policy while interning with AILA. At AILA, I worked with the Military Assistance Program, focusing on assisting military service members and their families in finding pro bono legal services. My role involved screening immigration cases for our clients and matching them with pro bono immigration attorneys. Among other things, CIW taught me how to balance my academic and work life. Balancing the requirements of my internship at AILA with my academic commitments proved to be both demanding and elevating. My work with the Military Assistance Program gave me valuable perspective into immigration law and solidified my decision to pursue a legal career after college.
Building Golden Bridges on The Bay
The following summer, I interned in San Francisco with Project Anar, an immigration justice organization with offices in both San Francisco and D.C. My primary responsibilities included managing client cases and coordinating clinical workshops for Afghan immigrants residing in the Bay Area. Building on my previous experience with AILA, my goal was to focus particularly on legal immigration work with Afghan immigrants, and joining Project Anar was the ideal next step. What I found most gratifying about my internship was the opportunity to independently conceive and execute projects with guidance from my supervisor.
Beyond Heritage: Empathy and Understanding
It was during this period that I came to realize the variation in immigration experiences, even among people within the same social group and similar backgrounds. For instance, although I am originally from Afghanistan, my immigration experience greatly differs from that of Afghans who enter the country without inspection through the southern border. I cannot fully comprehend the extent of difficulties some of these immigrants endure in their pursuit of safety. At times, I found it necessary to pause and acknowledge that my Afghan heritage alone does not automatically grant me an understanding of their experience or enable me to empathize fully with them.
My experience working for AILA and Project Anar reshaped my perspective on immigration law and helped me articulate a new career goal. In addition to the professional skills I acquired during my internships, I developed important personal skills. I learned how to effectively balance my life between work and academics and how to manage and execute projects independently. While Global Development equipped me with a diverse set of skills and knowledge, my engaged learning experiences taught me how to apply them within the legal field effectively.





Comments
Post a Comment